Friday, November 5, 2010

taste[test]


Finally! I’ve learned my lesson…It took long enough but the experimental chef in me has finally completed my first taste test [a dry run per say]. Each month new magazines arrive in my mailbox—almost every page offering a new idea for a tempting creation I can’t wait to try.  But I seem to always attempt these fun new dishes when I’m expecting company. I then find myself nervous and sweaty as I prepare to set the dish in front of my hungry guests. [Praying that it wont be the worst thing that they’ve ever eaten.] Wishing I had stuck to my famous baked brie or classic bean dip that both magically draw the party together for a group disappearing act.

This taste test comes in preparation for my first [hopefully annual] friendsgiving dinner later this month [where I am expecting a number of vegetarian guests]. And since I’m staying with a wonderful cook, who has a lot of experience with catering for a vegetarian crowd…. It was the perfect time! We found a few fun recipes to try out for a friendsgiving vegetarian main dish...  

The first contender was a veggie meatloaf [that we later dubbed a meatless loaf] and the second a vegan pumpkin risotto.  Our meatless loaf was the uncontested winner. Even the cats and puppy enjoyed the lentil based dish! We tweaked the recipe a bit and listened to the suggestions that the reviews offered [adding one additional egg and making a simple glaze for the top]. But the risotto, even after we added/subtracted and topped the dish with glazed pecans [mmm] we still weren’t pleased with the taste.  Disappointed because it sounded oh so delicious! But thankful the dry run was a success—not to mention it was accompanied by great conversation, a crisp Chardonnay, sharp cheese and my new favorite crackers!
 the right ingredients
finished product
the invites
save the date! 
<3

4 comments:

  1. I can't decide what was my favorite part of the evening... the cooking, the tasting, the wine, the cheese, the conversation or those fabulous cracker/chips. Perhaps it was all of the above, but the byproduct was to getting to know you - what a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the queen of trying new recipes for guests but now that I have a gluten-free/dairy-free brother and sister-in-law I may just have to start taste testing too for the holidays. And may I ask what type of delicious crackers you ate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela! I just figured out that I needed to enable my comment section- so now I actually get notified when one is left... I fixed the link. The crackers are by a brand called Food Should Taste Good. They are delish! Hope your holiday cooking ventures went well. Miss you <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently the link wont stick! So here it is http://www.foodshouldtastegood.com/#/multigrain/

    ReplyDelete