Thursday, July 15, 2010

h-ealth, h-appiness and h-erbs

The sun has finally decided to come out of hiding this summer!! And for us spoiled socal folk... its absence was becoming a pretty big issue. We only have (approximately) two seasons in socal... spring and summer! A cold rainy July is NOT what I expected when I returned from Europe. Relaxing beach days were one of the only pluses about my departure. A few of my summer goals were to maintain a healthy non-meat eating diet, to master my father's grill and become an expert fish/veggie BBQ'er. I felt that having an abundance of fresh herbs and veggies would be a necessity to achieve such a goal. And despite the fact that I visit Trader Joe's about 4 times a week- a local favorite for fresh fruit, veggies, wine, cheese, ice-cream... I decided that I wanted to grow a herb garden. I'm hoping to cultivate a sense of patience that I sadly lack, in addition to caring for and growing my own produce! I planted Rosemary, Jalapenos, Sweet Basil, English Lavender, Eggplant, Cilantro, Spearmint and Tamatoes. 

I feel like patience is something that I desperately need at this exact moment in my life. We can't always know what comes next, or how life's situations will work themselves out. Deep breathes, a little TLC and water to watch them grow! Most of my plants call for direct sunlight- so thanks sun for your perfect timing. I bought all pre-planted pots, because let's be honest... patience takes time... and I'm impatient! I did buy one seed packet of brussel sprouts, which are my favorite vegetable hands down. So sticking with my garden's intention- I decided to plant seeds for my favorite green veggie... reminding myself that the best things in life are worth the wait!! 
a rocky start
miracle grow soil 
anxious to grow
a dash of color in my glorious green garden 
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment