Thursday, July 8, 2010

all the SMALL things

Sometimes it’s the smallest thing that puts the biggest smile on your face—or at least my face.  This week the small fact that I used my degree in the real world for the first time has made me feel pretty happy. I am working for free, but none the less- I now have stories circulating in the real world. That is a big small thing this week that I feel happy/proud/relieved about—and definitely worth a smile!

While I was traveling this past month in NY, London and Portugal I made a conscious effort to take in all the small things. I tried to soak up and experience every aspect of the cities; sounds, smells, accents, language, mannerisms, textures… foliage, colors… etc. I carried a small notebook and wrote down as much as I could.                                       

One small thing that I loved about London were the sounds of the tube… MIND THE GAP! I would usually plug my ears with sounds from my ipod, but I refused to listen to music while I walked around the city. To my surprise... music found me! The UNDERGROUND musical performers were surprisingly really good. I was treated to a variety of musical mediums from guitar, opera, whistling, island steel drums, saxophone... (My dear friend later filled me in on the fact that the performers must audition before they are allowed to play for the mass rushes of commuters.) How funny… I wonder where auditions take place? Hmmm maybe ill investigate so I can make a few suggestions to the fine people of the MUNI system in San Francisco. My favorite tube ride also included music. We were treated to a private performance on one of our rides after (luckily) stumbling upon a train filled with a men's music group. They came prepared with bongos, guitar and a tambourine... singing their version of "The Love Boat"... (sigh) what a fabulous moment in time. Here is a look at a few of my favorite small things from my trip.  LONDON

how green the plants/trees are
night lighting in the rain
the colored doors on my walk to the tube
views from the red buses
holding hands
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment